Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbo


Another nice entry into the category of Scandinavian Crime Fiction, but my first question when it comes to Jo Nesbo (and to the same point many of his contemporaries) is would he be as popular amongst American Crime Fiction fans had it not been for Stieg Larsson, the author of ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’.  My gut tells me that in the specific case of Nesbo the answer is yes.
There’s something very old-school of about the way Nesbo writes, something that harkens back to the heyday of Noir, of pulp fiction and dime novels, and thats a style thats always resonated well with American readers.
This book, ‘The Devil’s Star’, is the third of Jo Nesbo’s American releases, all of which i’ve read.  They have so far all followed the career of Inspector Harry Hole of the Norwegian Police, and while they are not what I would consider ‘intellectually taxing’ reads they are thoroughly enjoyable.  Some element of his writing goes to the reader in me that needs it dark with the only light in the room on the page, and I’ll just sink into the story to the point that several times I’d not heard someone enter the room I was in until they spoke and startled the crap out of me.
Basically, if you’re a fan of Crime Fiction, and you’ve not read Nesbo, check him out.

No comments:

Post a Comment