Sunday, February 13, 2011

2011 Haruki Murakami Challenge #2

I just don't know what to say about this book. It feels like half a book, or I am severely missing the point. This was Haruki Murakami's second published novel in Japan, as well as the second in what is referred to as the 'Trilogy of the Rat', the first being 'Hear The Wind Sing', which I reviewed last week, and the third being 'A Wild Sheep Chase', his first U.S. release. I had similar issues with the first, but not nearly to this extent as I felt that it had a more complete arc. It was still a fun read for a long time Murakami fan like myself as I get to see the development of what have become his signatures in his writing one such being dual stories with alternating chapters.
I cannot recommend this book to non-Murakami fans, as I feel it has so many basic story flaws. It also feels experimental, as it probably was, and I think that would turn a lot of first time readers off.
Overall, I did enjoy this book, as with the Murakami book from last week, it just has a certain feel that I associate with his writing that I enjoy. As far as my disappointments, I'm holding out hope that in the final book of the trilogy my patience and diligence will be rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment